Sunday, August 28, 2011

Prayer

One of the sisters in our ward used this poem in her talk today.  It really struck me, because I am guilty of doing this A LOT.

Live The Way You Pray

 
I knelt to pray when day was done

And prayed, "O Lord, bless everyone,

Lift from each saddened heart the pain

And let the sick be well again."

And then I woke another day

And carelessly went on my way,

The whole day long I did not try

To wipe a tear from any eye.

I did not try to share the load

Of any brother on the road.

I did not even go to see

The sick man just next door to me.

Yet once again when day was done

I prayed, "O Lord, bless everyone."

But as I prayed, into my ear

there came a voice that whispered clear,

"Pause now, my son, before you pray.

Whom have you tried to bless today?

Gods sweetest blessing always go

by hands that serve him here below."

And then I hid my face and cried,

"Forgive me, God, I have not tried,

But let me live another day

and I will live the way I pray."

~Author Unknown~

It seems like I always remember to mention all those that are in need of blessings, but I often forget that we are His hands, and those blessings we pray for are often fulfilled through our service to others.  I was reminded today (as I am most days) that I need to be a little better.  My dad has been such a wonderful example of service to me lately.  Since he is in the bishopric he often has the opportunity to serve so many people in our ward.  Just this week he received a message on our answering machine from a sweet older lady in our ward whom my dad had helped move in just a few weeks ago.  She left the message saying that her husband had suddenly passed away just 4 hours prior and that she needed help planning his funeral services.  I have been impressed by the simple kindness he has shown her by calling or visiting on a daily basis. It isn't hard to do these small acts of service, but I often find myself feeling inadequate or too stressed about things going on in my life. I'm going to try harder to "live the way I pray", because that's what this life is all about anyways right?

No comments:

Post a Comment